It’s comfort food season! There’s a tiktok spaghetti bake that’s been all over my “for you page” that I’ve been dying to try because it looks so incredibly cozy and delicious.
I’m not sure who posted it first and made it viral, so if you know, let me know in the comments. Either way, it looks amazing: spaghetti tossed in a creamy alfredo sauce topped off with a savory meat sauce all baked up with cheese on top. It’s all the things I love about pasta bakes: a golden brown cheesy blanket, lots of saucy noodles, piping hot, filling, and oh so savory.
What is Tiktok spaghetti?
Table of Contents
Tiktok spaghetti is an oven baked casserole with creamy alfredo spaghetti topped off with a savory tomato meat sauce. It’s kind of like a deconstructed rosé meat sauce. Essentially it’s a riff off of million dollar spaghetti but with slight twist.
What does Tiktok spaghetti taste like?
It’s creamy, cheesy, rich from the alfredo, and hearty and savory thanks to the the meat sauce. Like all pasta bakes, it’s a savory, comforting, easy dish. It’s really good, especially if you love spaghetti and hate choosing between tomato and cream sauce. Really, it’s the best of both worlds.
Tiktok spaghetti vs million dollar spaghetti
Tiktok spaghetti is a pasta bake with alfredo spaghetti topped off with a tomato meat sauce. It might sound like another dish you know, million dollar spaghetti, but it’s not quite the same. Million dollar spaghetti is a pasta bake with tomato meat sauce, spaghetti, and mozzarella cream cheese layers. It’s like lasagna made with spaghetti.
How to make Tiktok spaghetti
- Make the meat sauce. We’re going to start by making our meat sauce so it has time to simmer. Soften diced onion and garlic in oil along with a touch of sugar. Add ground beef and brown, breaking it up. Stir in onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, and crushed tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Bring the sauce to a simmer and let the flavors meld while you cook the spaghetti and make the alfredo sauce.
- Cook the spaghetti. Bring a large pot of salted water up to a boil and cook the spaghetti according to the package directions, then drain well.
- Make the Alfredo sauce. Melt the butter in a sauce pan and stir in minced garlic and heavy cream. Let the cream and butter reduce and thicken slightly, then remove the pan from the heat and whisk in shredded parmesan cheese until smooth and creamy. Stir in chopped parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble. After the spaghetti is ready, toss it with the creamy alfredo sauce then transfer to an oven safe dish. Top it off with the meat sauce and finish the casserole by sprinkling evenly with shredded mozzarella and chopped parsley.
- Bake. Bake the Tiktok spaghetti in a 350°F oven until the cheese is melty and gooey. Enjoy hot!
Tiktok spaghetti ingredients
- meat sauce: this meat sauce is loosely based on Italian bolognese sauce. Generally it’s any dark red tomato-based pasta sauce with aromatics like onions, garlic, carrots, and celery. Ground meat is added, browned, and broken up into small pieces, and the whole thing is simmered for awhile to let the flavors meld.
- spaghetti: regular dried spaghetti, your favorite brand. We’re partial to Garofalo for baked spaghetti. It’s from Italy, it’s bronze dye extruded, and is 100% durum wheat semolina flour. PS – they sell it at Costco too.
- Alfredo sauce: classic Italian Alfredo sauce is butter, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, and starchy pasta water. American Alfredo sauce tends to be slightly more creamy and thicker thanks to the addition of heavy cream and much more cheese. In this case, we’re going to make an American-style alfredo since we’ll be baking the pasta.
- cheese to top: when you bake a pasta, you have to top it with cheese to keep the noodles from drying out. For this dish, I like to use mozzarella to top, and, if you use bagged shredded mozzarella, I won’t judge, it’s what I use too. It’s mainly there to create a cheese seal to help everything stay moist in the oven while it bakes.
Tiktok spaghetti components
There are two different sauces you need to make: tomato meat sauce and alfredo.
Meat sauce ingredients
- onion and garlic: onion and garlic are classic in meat sauce because they add so much flavor. This recipe calls for 1 medium onion and 8 cloves of garlic for all the garlic girls out there.
- sugar: we’re going to add a touch of sugar to our meat sauce to help amplify the sweetness of the tomatoes. Adding sugar balances out the acidity in tomatoes sauce. Typically, if you simmer tomato sauce for a very long time (or if you have summer sweet tomatoes) you won’t need to add sugar, but a touch of sugar really helps sweeten and balance the sauce without it needing to be on the stove for hours.
- seasonings: we’re also going to add in some garlic powder, onion powder, and oregano for a bit of extra oomph. The garlic, onion, and oregano are optional, but if you have them in your pantry, they add to the overall savoriness of the meat sauce. One thing I don’t recommend skipping is the fresh flat leaf parsley. It adds brightness, freshness, and has the added bonus of looking pretty.
- ground meat: lean ground beef is what we’re using. If you have ground “bork” at your grocery store (a mix of ground beef and pork) you can use that too. If you’re not using lean, make sure you drain off any excess fat so your sauce isn’t too greasy. You can also go for ground turkey, ground chicken or Italian sausage.
- crushed tomatoes: a can of crushed tomatoes is the base of our tomato sauce. In this case, I like crushed instead of whole or diced because we’re not cooking the sauce for hours. The texture and consistency of crushed tomatoes works best. That being said, you can use whichever kind of canned tomatoes you like – I even have a substitution down below for using jarred tomato sauce.
Alfredo sauce ingredients
- butter: butter is going to give our alfredo a creamy, buttery base. Go for unsalted so you can control how salty the sauce is.
- heavy cream: heavy cream aka whipping cream is what is going to thicken our alfredo sauce and make it extra rich.
- cheese: Alfredo sauce uses parmesan cheese and you should really use Parmigiano Reggaino, it tastes worlds different than the green shaker of cheese. If you go the real cheese route, it’s much cheaper and better to buy a block and grate it yourself using the fine side of a grater. It’ll melt more evenly into the alfredo sauce.
Extra easy Tiktok spaghetti
If you’re super busy and can’t make the meat sauce and the alfredo from scratch, you can definitely use some shortcuts by buying your favorite jarred pasta sauces. Simply brown lean ground beef and add it to your favorite jarred tomato sauce (we like Rao’s roasted garlic). You can also use jarred alfredo sauce (again, Rao’s is a solid choice), just heat it up and toss it with cooked spaghetti before topping it with the meat sauce and mozzarella. It’ll be faster than delivery and has all the feels of a home-cooked meal.
What kind of casserole dish for Tiktok spaghetti
If you don’t have a casserole dish, don’t worry, you can bake this spaghetti in any oven safe dish you have: a baking pan, a cake pan, a pie pan, a cast iron skillet, a dutch oven, or those disposable aluminum pans from the grocery store.
What to serve with Tiktok spaghetti
Because carbs with carbs is the best comfort meal:
Happy comfort food season!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 8 cloves garlic minced, divided
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 lb ground beef
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes 1 large can
- 2 tsp garlic powder optional
- 2 tsp onion powder optional
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 16 oz spaghetti
- 1/2 cup butter unsalted preferred
- 2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese grated
- 1 cup mozzarella grated
- 2 tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley chopped
In a large, deep skillet, heat up the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, half of the minced garlic, and sugar and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves and the onions and garlic are soft, 4-5 minutes. Add the ground beef and brown, using the back of a wooden spoon or a potato masher to break up the meat.
Stir in the crushed tomatoes, garlic powder, onion powder, and oregano. Bring to a simmer then reduce the heat to low. Let simmer while you cook the spaghetti and make the alfredo sauce. Be sure to taste and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
While the meat sauce is simmering, heat the oven to 350°F and bring a large pot of salted water to boil over high heat. Cook the spaghetti according to the package directions, then drain well.
While the spaghetti is cooking, make the alfredo sauce. Melt the butter in a second large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the remaining garlic and heavy cream. Bring to a gentle simmer and slightly reduce, 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the parmesan cheese until the sauce is smooth and melty. Taste and season with salt, freshly ground pepper, and half of the freshly chopped parsley.
Toss the drained, cooked spaghetti with the alfredo sauce, then transfer to an oven safe baking dish. Top evenly with the meat sauce.
Sprinkle on the mozzarella cheese and the remaining chopped parsley. Bake in the oven until the cheese is melty and slightly brown, about 20-25 minutes. Scoop up the different layers and enjoy hot!
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 305
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 18.3g114%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.