One of the most frustrating situations you can be in is trying to fall asleep but not being able to. Sleep is one of the most important things that you need to have enough energy to get you through the day. Without the right amount of quality sleep, your energy level will be low as well as your productivity.
So what are some ways to fall asleep that actually work?
Let’s look at a couple of things you can do to help out with this problem. Keep in mind that some methods will work better than others. It depends on your body and situation.
- As we have all seen on TV or read in stories, one way to fall asleep is to count sheep. You don’t necessarily have to be counting sheep but the point is to do something boring and repetitive. By doing this, you will help keep your mind occupied on one thing. One of the causes of not being able to dose off is that we continually think about things that keep us awake such as financial problems or even about things that we are going to be doing tomorrow. Even self-talk will keep you awake. So by focusing on one, boring thing, you will have a better chance of falling asleep.
- One of the most natural ways to fall asleep is to exercise. When we are tired, it’s easy to fall asleep. We can’t wait to get to bed. When you exercise during the day, your body temperature will rise. When the day comes to an end, your body temperature will drop. This rise and drop in body temperature will help you sleep better. By getting your body to move, you will be working your body and in doing so, your body will naturally need to rest to regain its strength. You can exercise either in the morning or in the late afternoon but try to avoid exercising late at night since you will most likely be energized after the workout.
- There are ways to fall asleep faster of course such as taking pills but you will want to avoid those things. You will want to look for something safe for long-term health reasons. If you want easy ways to fall asleep then try drinking some tea or taking a hot bath before you go to bed. Having the hotness in your body will help relax and calm you down.
- One thing that may help is to not lie in bed when you aren’t sleepy. You want to train your body to feel sleepy every time you get into your bed. You can do this by only lying in your bed when you feel drowsy. If you can’t sleep, get off the bed and go do something else until you feel tired.
- One of the best ways to fall asleep is to get into a habit of waking up at the same time each morning including on weekends. When you get into a certain sleeping routine, your body will sleep and wake up like clockwork. It doesn’t matter what time you go to bed as long as you force yourself to wake up at the same time each day. By doing this, you will eventually be forced to have too little sleep and this will cause you to become tired earlier which will result in you falling asleep faster. Of all of the ways to fall asleep that I have tried, this is the best method that I have found. It takes a bit of discipline to get yourself up even if you feel tired or you want to sleep in on the weekends but it’s worth it. It sure beats lying in bed for hours and still not falling asleep.